A Blog for the Perpetually Frustrated Home Sewist

Flower Power Jumper: Vintage 1960's Simplicity 8394 Pattern Review

Happy New Year everyone! This year's first blog post will be a review of vintage Simplicity Pattern #8394. It was a simple and fun project that I finished this past November. In the following post, I'll discuss the pattern itself, the materials used, and break down the styling details. 

This jumper dress is a fairly simple design, with armhole princess seams in the front and back. There are snaps on the shoulders, and the dress zips up the back. I'll get more into design of the dress in the Pattern section down below. 

I also constructed a basic black belt to pair with the dress. 

Now let's take a closer look at the pattern! 


This past fall I had the idea to make a jumper dress with a coordinated blouse. I've always loved 1960's style jumpers, so I was excited to find Simplicity 8394 on Etsy. It was released in 1969, and it includes a scarf, blouse, and a jumper in two lengths. The jumper has two closure methods: a zipper in the center back seam and 3 buttons on each shoulder strap. 

The top neckline of the jumper is finished with a facing, but the dress is unlined (at least per the pattern instructions). The dress itself comes in two lengths and includes options for decorated patch pockets and belt loops. I chose to make the shorter length, but I skipped adding pockets or belt loops. Also, there is a small dart on each side of the center front next to the princess seam. 

I selected this pattern partially because I liked the shaping created by the princess seams on the front and back. However, I unfortunately found that the dress was a bit looser than I would have liked. Based on my measurements and judging by the illustrations on the cover of the pattern, I had believed the pattern would be more fitted. I suppose I could alter the pattern (or take in the princess seams more), but for now I've accepted the looser fit. It's honestly probably more comfortable, and I can layer bulkier sweaters underneath! Other than that, the dress is relatively true to size (but with some extra ease). 

Also, although the dress has instructions for constructing belt loops, there are no instructions for making a belt. So, you'll need to make it yourself if you want a belt! I measured the belt buckle I planned to use, and then drafted a simple rectangle to use as a pattern for the belt. 

The construction process for the jumper was simple, easy, and uncomplicated. However, as this pattern is vintage, the instructions are a little more sparse than its modern counterparts. For example, the entire instructions fit onto one side of one printed paper sheet. In comparison to some older patterns, the instructions for this pattern are more detailed than expected. If you have some sewing experience, this pattern will not be difficult at all. 

The only real change I made from the pattern was to swap out the buttons on the shoulder for snaps. I used the same placement markings for the buttons and hammered snaps in their place.  


I chose simple materials for this project. The black corduroy and satin used for the dress are both from Craft Heart Tokai.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact fiber content for each, but I believe the satin is polyester. I also purchased the snaps and zipper from the same place. All of the materials used were pretty standard, so there isn't much to discuss. 

Lastly, I bought the daisy belt notion in Taiwan. I wish I could find another one completely identical to it, but if you're interested in one that's similar, here's a link. 

Here's the link once more!


I had a lot of fun styling this jumper! I currently have a lot of daisy and flower themed items in my wardrobe, so I wanted to take advantage of that. The flower earrings are clip-ons from Mary Quant. I bought them in person in Miyazaki, but they are also available here.

The white headband is from 3coins, a chain store in Japan where everything costs 300 yen (about $3 USD). It's simple, but comfortable!

I also made a mask that somewhat matches the outfit. It's made of basic white printed cotton. 

I'm wearing a different headband and clip-on earrings here. 

Here's what it looks like with a jacket. 

The yellow flower suitcase is from Dollskill (the Delia's collection)-purchased last year. And the small black bag is from Mary Quant. It came from a book comb pack at Tsutaya (but likely available elsewhere). The boots are from Unif several years ago. And lastly, the sunglasses are by Ban.do

Also, this dress can be styled without the belt. I've already worn this dress with some other sweaters. I think it matches the Lazy Oaf poodle sweater I bought in 2019 quite well. If I think to get a picture I'll throw it here.

I actually sort of dislike how the belt looks with this dress, so I may eventually repurpose the daisy belt buckle for another project. I would actually really love to make another corduroy jumper that is more fitted and sleek in a different color. So perhaps I'll do that soon! 


As always, thank you for reading this far! Overall, this make was super simple and a quick make. I think it will get a lot of wear in my wardrobe, because it's a neutral color and easy to layer. I really hope to complete more blog posts in 2021 in comparison to 2020. See you next time! 

If you have any comments or questions please leave them down below! 

To see more of my projects using vintage patterns, click here.

To see more of my projects using Simplicity patterns, click here

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig